Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Toddlers and Fire

Last night, I built a fire in our fireplace. My two oldest girls were outside playing with the neighbor kids, so I enlisted the help of my 20-month old, Reagan. The first step was to retrieve the firewood from the garage. I had only a small pile of firewood left and I would rather burn it than move it later this week. Reagan came with me to the garage. I handed her one small chunk of a 2x4. I carried all the rest of the wood upstairs, approximately 20 small-ish pieces.


When we got upstairs to the fireplace, I had Reagan crumple up a piece of paper, a job she was well-suited for. I then told her to put some kindling on the paper. She piled it all on. I even had her get a match out of the box, which I lit. Once the match was lit, I held her hand with the match and together we lit the paper and the kindling on fire.

Ta-da! Fire started.

When I think about it, Reagan didn't really do much of anything to help. She carried one measly log up the stairs, and even that was a job I directed her to do. I had to hold the door for her with my arms full of firewood, I had to put her crumpled paper in the right place, I had to re-stack the kindling, I had to light the match and direct her hand to light the fire. Basically, she did nothing and I did everything.

So why did I include Reagan in the fire-making process? Certainly it was not because of her highly valuable contributions. No, the reason that I included her was because I wanted to. I am her daddy and I want to have relationship with her. At no point in the 20 months of her life have I really needed her, but I always want her.

In Psalm 50, God says "For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills. I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine. If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for the world and its fullness are mine."

Does that sound like a God who is in need of our contribution or help?

If I was to be honest, I often feel like my contributions to God's kingdom are pretty stinkin' important. I give money. I give time. I use my talents and gifts in service of the kingdom. And...God doesn't need any of it. He is sufficient in himself and has no need. But, God has graciously invited me to participate with him in his activity in the world. Much like a little kid going to work with his daddy, I am in way over my head. God does the work, but I get to tag along and share in his joy.

I am not needed by God, but I am wanted. That is both humbling and freeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment