Tuesday, April 26, 2011

If You Love It, You Will Learn About It

I am a seminary student. The degree I am pursuing is called a Master of Divinity (insert joke from Jim Strutz about being a "divine master" here). One of the the most surprising things that happened to me when I announced that I would be pursing a theology degree was the push back that I got from well-meaning Christians. They were concerned that studying theology would ruin my walk with God, that my study would turn my relationship into a merely intellectual exercise. I was surprised, because it was an aspect of study that had never crossed my mind.

When I stopped to think about it, the concern was actually valid. I have actually experienced something like this firsthand before. When I was pursing my undergrad degree in music, I can remember many weekends where I expressed a sentiment similar to the following: "If I never see another piece of music again, it will be too soon." My intensive study, practicing, rehearsing, and playing almost ruined my love and appreciation for music. Many of the other students in my class are not working or earning a living in a music-related field; many of them are not even playing music at all!

However valid this concern in, I don't think it should scare us away from studying or learning about who God is, His nature, His character, and His attributes. I have heard people say "I don't want to know about God, I just want to know God," or "I don't want to just read the owner's manual, I want to drive the car!" This sentiment is understandable, but unfortunately shortsighted. I would propose this: if you love something, you will invariably study it out. Michael Patton from Credo House Ministries explains it well:

It’s popular today to think our learning about God will stifle our passion for God. I’ve even heard people say, “I’d rather be led instead of read.” This is simply not true from human experience. Anyone passionate in any subject will eventually seek to learn more and more about the subject. The person passionate about wine becomes a student of wine. They learn about the art of wine making, differing varieties in differing climates, soil nutrients, fermentation, barreling, pairing, and proper tasting techniques. They love the taste, but the taste is now greatly enhanced by their knowledge.

The person passionate about NASCAR becomes a student of NASCAR. They can tell you about the history of certain race tracks, they will tell you about some of the great drivers from the past, they’ll educate you about fuel conservation during a race, driver and fan safety, getting the most out of the tires, and driver G-forces.

If you’re reading this there’s a strong chance the King of all Kings has adopted you into His family. Your eternal destiny has been altered by a Savior who lived, died and rose in your place. He invites you to take your heavy burden in exchange for His light yoke. Your God is with you every day and is leading you safely to your eternal home. Yet so many people will go months, years or even a lifetime without taking the initiative to grow as a learner. We won’t follow the command of Jesus to make not just converts but disciples. Somehow we think if we know Him we won’t love Him. This is simply not true.

There are many other analogies that could be used - football and other sports, music, cinema, American history - but you see how this works. If you love something, you will learn about it. I appreciate the valid concern that too much study can turn something you love into a frustration, but I think that the vast majority of us are far from that problem. Most of us are in danger of running off the road on the other side, not knowing enough about the God that we worship. I encourage you: study, learn, grow in understanding. As Peter charges us in 2nd Peter 3, "Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." It's a both/and thing. We need to grow in our experience of God's grace while we grow in the knowledge of who God is. May we all increase in both.


Michael Patton and the Credo House Ministries blog can be visited here: http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment