Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Best/Worst Films of 2010

Here's my basic premise: most movies are terrible. The acting is terrible. The plot is terrible. The directing is terrible. The dialogue is terrible. I realize that this premise is completely subjective because different people like different things, but some people are just easy to please and will watch whatever schlock the previews tell them to watch. I will ALWAYS advocate that people approach all media - movies, music, books, news, etc. - with an intelligent thoughtfulness and a healthy dose of skepticism. That way, they're less likely to spend their time and hard-earned money on something that has no value.

Now, with that subjective opinion-filled diatribe out of the way, allow me to offer my opinion on the movies of 2010.

Very Good Movies
1) Robin Hood. Great cinematography. The actors, particularly Crowe, were fantastic. Decent attempt at a fresh take on the classic story.
2) Inception. I love everything that Chris Nolan does. Throw in a handful of fantastic actors and a thought-provoking plot/premise, and the results are quite good.
3) Despicable Me. Maybe it's just because I have little girls, but the adoption story arc actually made me tear up. Coupled with the laughs from Carrell and company, it was quite an emotionally satisfying experience.
4) True Grit. Killer dialogue. GREAT acting from the entire cast, particularly the young Hailee Steinfeld. The Cohen bros, against all the odds, manage to remake a classic film, and actually improve upon it.
5) Toy Story 3. A great wrap-up to an already great franchise. I vote that Pixar be put in charge of all entertainment. If Pixar had made Lost, the ending wouldn't have been such a train wreck.

Honorable Mention / Pretty Good Movies:
Narnia: Dawn Treader - didn't butcher the book, but wasn't truly special
How To Train Your Dragon - some laughs, some heart, mostly run-of-the-mill
Ramona & Beezus - only if you're the parent of young girls :)
Tangled - no major complaints, but nothing to write home about
Alice In Wonderland - did Depp's oddball performance save or ruin this movie?
Karate Kid - decent remake. Kinda cheesy dialogue, but good for my kiddos
The Book of Eli

Mediocre Romantic Comedies That My Wife Watched But I Somehow Dodged:
Bounty Hunter, When In Rome, Valentine's Day (her favorite of the mediocre rom-coms), The Killers

Just Truly Terrible Movies - Some I've Seen and Many I Don't Need To See To Know How Awful They Are:
Letters To Juliet, Devil, MacGruber, Charlie St. Cloud, The Back-Up Plan, Piranha 3D, The Social Network, Saw 3D, Iron Man 2, Burlesque, Little Fockers, Paranormal Activity 2, Wolfman, Vampires Suck, Eat Pray Love, Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, The Last Airbender, Marmaduke, Sex and the City 2, Furry Vengeance, Kick-Ass, Clash of the Titans, Prince of Persia, The Spy Next Door, Legion, Dear John, She's Out of My League, Hot Tub Time Machine, My Soul To Take, Wall Street,

There are still a few movies that I would like to see once they're out on Blu-Ray. Only then can I formulate an informed opinion: Knight and Day, The Tourist, MegaMind, The Fighter, Salt, Tron...maybe.

One final unique category for me...movies that looked like they might have had some potential but I chose not to see because of the content, particularly sexual content & nudity:
Date Night, Dinner For Schmucks, Due Date, Love and Other Drugs, The American, The Men Who Stare At Goats, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

If I called your favorite movie terrible, forgive me; it's just an opinion. But I'm still right...

No comments:

Post a Comment