Sunday, January 24, 2010

Conan vs. Haiti

The two big news items this week in America are the devastation in Haiti, and the feud between Conan O'Brien and NBC. Like many Americans, I started watching Conan with a renewed interest this last week (nothing like a little controversy to drive up ratings, huh NBC?). I think that Conan has actually handled the situation with a fair dose of class, in the midst of all of his inane, juvenile comedy. His closing monologue urging young Americans to resist cynicism was a nice touch and actually fairly inspiring.

All week long, Conan repeatedly spoke of the tragedy that's still taking place in Haiti, urging his viewers to give to various charities, and reminding them that the feud between him and NBC was "nothing, just entertainment." I like that he put it into perspective like that. But...I have to admit...every time he brought up Haiti, I found myself thinking about the sadness of the situation, then instantly wanting him to move on with the show, doing things like burning piles of NBC money on stage. I gave a token emotional nod to the serious issue, then instantly desired my entertainment and pleasure.

Isn't that kind of an interesting metaphor for the current state of our American culture? Let's face it: we love our entertainment! I do not for one minute doubt the sincerity of Conan when he spoke of the need to focus on the more important things in life; I also do not doubt the sincerity of millions of Americans when they say that they are deeply saddened by Haiti. It's just that our culture has the most convenience, entertainment, and pleasure of any society in the history of the world. We slip into "selfish" mode all to easily....

(Before any of you accuse me of judging, let me state clearly that I stand first in line with the offenders!)

Friday night, I got to perform music in front of nearly 2,000 people. What a rush! I have gotten to perform to 1,000+ crowds about 7 or 8 times in my life. Let me tell you, I hope that feeling never gets old. But, right before our last song, my friend Jesse stormed the stage and asked my friend Kristal (our bass player) to marry him. I can't help but think about how many tens of thousands of dollars were spent on the concert: promotion, lighting, band performance fee (not for me, dangit! haha), room rental, security, etc. Yet, when all is said and done, the truly important thing that happened at that event was two people making a declaration of their desire to commit to a lifelong relationship. Relationship is of more value than any concert or entertainment.

I encourage you to remember that as you approach each day. Sometimes, just turn off the TV and hold your kids. Turn off the iPod and call a friend and tell them how much you value them and your friendship. Log off of Facebook and meet your mom in person for coffee. Find someone who you can be a big brother or sister to and talk to them about their future. Remember to thank God for all of the truly meaningful things in this life, the most important being the gift of His son, Jesus Christ.

But most of all, remember to NOT watch the new/old Leno show, 'cause that guys sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment